2/9/09

Inspiration

Lately I've been thinking about doing a series of prints or SOMETHING relating to maps, cities and hidden worlds. I read Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities last year for a class and was fascinated by the story: Marco Polo tells Kubla Khan about cities hes traveled to, all very different but similar and incredibly strange and foreign to our concepts of cities and civilations.

Its hard to describe my exact inspiration, so I've put them into picture form. Do they weave a web of similarity? I hope so. I'm just not sure what to do with all of it! I think a series of etchings could be really cool...


I watched Horton Hears a Who back in December and was so fascinated by it. He finds a little speck from a flower that holds an entire planet and has to protect it.

The Little Prince is so totally cool-you must watch the 1974 film version with Gene Wilder and Bob Fosse, its so ridiculously strange but awesome.


This is a painting by Rene Magritte for a cover of Calvino's book. A lot of my drawings have been centered around little planets or chunks of rock with buildings on them, much like this one! So weird.

No comments: