7/14/09

Etsy Tuesday: Jean Pelle


It is safe to say that I am in love with Jean Pelle's wooden candlestick holders and glass chandeliers and jewelry. Her clean, crisp lines and fresh take on home decor have caught my eye as well as others around the blogosphere. A new line of excruciatingly delicate glass orbs strung together to make a necklace is an entirely new concept for jewelry I have seen, and that glass ball chandelier is to die for! Her gold leafed candlesticks and jewelry can be found in her etsy shop (which is having a sale til July 15th!) as well as her personal website.

I was fortunate enough to have a few questions answered by Jean herself regarding her creativity and inspiration.

What inspires you to create?
Generally, I find inspiration in a wide range of sources – art, film, architecture, fashion and nature. At the moment, I am inspired by the objects I encounter everyday in places that I frequent, such as the hardware store or specialty supply shops. They are usually common and inexpensive materials, but they have appealing qualities such as color, shape or texture. I enjoy combining these findings, in an interesting way, into a new object. 

What is a typical day of work like for you?
I usually leave in the early mornings for my studio in Gowanus, Brooklyn. There, I split my time between filling orders, working in the wood shop, running errands/ordering supplies, and developing and testing out new products and ideas. If I have some spare time, I’ll work on a small painting or two. That is a real treat.
Why do you use Etsy to sell your work?
Etsy has an incredibly strong online presence with an active participant community. It’s allowed for my work to be seen by a much wider audience, plus I enjoy the direct exchange between maker and buyer. I'm also able to list unusual items that I normally would not approach retailers with.

Thanks, Jean!

No comments: